We are what we eat...
Health and wellbeing is a trend that’s here to stay with consumers saying NO to artificial and YES to mother nature’s larder. This month its all about the avocado a rather unique type of fruit.
So why do we all love this magical green fruit so much? Avocados are a great source of monounsaturated fat (which can improve cholesterol levels, decrease risk of heart disease, and benefit brain activity), vitamin E (a powerful antioxidant), and vitamin B6 (which promotes healthy skin and serves as a back-up fuel). Their creamy texture compliments various dishes from salads to smoothies.
We have picked out the top 10 health benefits here:
- Avocado is incredibly nutritious
- They contain more potassium than bananas
- Avocado is loaded with heart-healthy monounsaturated fatty acids
- Avocado is loaded with fibre
- Eating avocados can lower cholesterol and triglyceride levels
- People who eat avocados tend to be healthier
- The fat in them can help you absorb nutrients from plant foods
- Avocados are loaded with powerful antioxidants that can protect the eyes
- Avocado may help prevent cancer
- Avocado extract may help relieve symptoms of arthritis
Finally, here’s a delicious avocado smoothie recipie to get the taste buds tingling:
KIWI AVOCADO SMOOTHIE WITH LIME AND HONEY
- ½ perfectly ripe large avocado
- 2 kiwi- peeled
- fresh lime juice
- 5 tbsp Almond milk, soy milk, coconut milk, aloe juice, fruit juice- just enough to get the blender going.
- 1-2 tsp honey to taste
- 2-3 ice cubes
- Place the liquid in the blender first, then fruit and ice. Cover. Start on low speed, increasing to high speed. Blend it up until creamy and smooth.
- And remember, don't ever stick a spoon or spatula in blender while it's running.
- Makes one 10 oz glass.